Pinewood Pro is the proud sponsor of the Pinewood Derby Museum
The only one of its kind in the US
Joe Gargiulo has researched and collected pinewood derby artifacts for well over 10 years. He has visited the original site of the first pinewood derby race in Manhattan Beach, CA, conducted interviews, library research and met with Donn Murphy, the son of the inventor of pinewood derby racing.
He researched what happened after the first pinewood derby race to understand how this simple idea of racing miniature cars quickly spread across the US and then became a world-wide phenomenon that is still going strong 60 years later.
Best of all, YOU can be part of the Museum!
The Pinewood Derby Museum Grand Opening was Jan 4, 2015.
Museum is part of the Southwestern CT BSA Heritage Museum located at:
BSA Connecticut Yankee Council Building
60 Wellington Rd.
Open Saturdays 10-2.
I hope to see you there...
What you will see at the pinewood derby museum
The Pinewood Derby Museum features:
- Select pages from Don Murphy's original 1953 PWD plan, complete with his Pack meeting announcement for the first pinewood derby race.
- Pictures, an interview and signed cars from Donn Murphy
- A replica of Donn Murphy's original 1953 car, "The First Racer", signed by Donn Murphy
- Trophies, a ribbon and medal from the 2nd pinewood derby in 1954, when PWD racing spread across the Los Angeles area.
- The 1954 article from Boy's Life that introduced pinewood derby racing to the Boy Scouts of America
- Cool, hot pinewood derby cars, like the Ghost Rider, Scorpion and Hartford Whalers Stanley Cup cars built by adults for Scout Reach fund raiser races.
- A digital display with hundreds of pinewood derby smiling winners, cars, trophies and ribbons
- A digital display featuring "Your Pinewood Derby Story". Be a part of the Museum by submitting your pictures and your pinewood derby story...(see below)
Everyone seems to have an interesting story behind building their car with a parent or grand parent. Or perhaps you won your race, or lost, or crashed, or created a cool car, or had a touching moment with a parent, friend or guardian that you want to share.
Just e-mail us a picture or two with a few lines of text at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will put you in our slide show featuring "Your Pinewood Derby Story".
A Hand Written story by the child is preferred. This gives your child more ownership of their pinewood derby by sharing their personal experience. Let them write whatever they want. Some questions to get them started:
- What was the most fun part of building your car?
- What do remember most about your pinewood derby race?
- Tell me about your car? Did you name it? Why did you choose that design or color scheme?
- What makes your car special
Below are a few of those priceless stories:
Email us pictures and "Your Pinewood Derby Story" today at email@example.com!
Share with Friends!
Tips & Hints
Lighter wheels turn easier (they require less inertia). Lighten your wheels, as much as your Rules allow, which will give you a fast start out of the gate and faster speed down the track.
When lubing your wheels and axles, shoot graphite powder into the wheel bore, spin your wheels, and repeat. Do this over newspaper in your garage or outside the house.
Don't attach feathers or big decorative parts that can cause drag. This will decrease your car speed
- Helping Pinewood Derby Racers
...for over 15 years.
We won every race we entered as well as the grand prize for the fastest car! Thanks for your help and interest.
Thank you for the tips in your Winning Secrets book. Out of 116 cars in our AWANA Grand Prix, my boys came in first in their divisions and 1st and 3rd overall. They were thrilled!
I ordered a set of your BSA wheels and axels last minute on Wednesday for overnight delivery. Our race was on Friday. We finished in 6th out of 80 cars, and will be going to the Divisional Race! My son was never happier! Thanks again!
- Steve from KY
- FREE Derby Help
- Designing Your Car
- Building Your Car
- Making Your Car Fast
- Finishing Touches
- LEGO Derby Car Racing
- Race Track
- Pinewood Pro...
Using these axles and BSA speed wheels, we set a track record, went undefeated and won the pack championship. My son is thrilled to be heading to districts and let me tell you, a winning scout is a happy scout. Can't recommend these enough!
- Natalie from CO
Thanks for offering such great products to beginners. My son finished 1st in his pack, 2nd in his district, and 6th overall for his first year. Will definitely order from you again.
- Matthew from TN