Pinewood Pro is the proud sponsor of the Pinewood Derby Museum
The only one of its kind in the US
Joe Gargiulo has researched and collected pinewood derby artifacts for well over 10 years. He has visited the original site of the first pinewood derby race in Manhattan Beach, CA, conducted interviews, library research and met with Donn Murphy, the son of the inventor of pinewood derby racing.
He researched what happened after the first pinewood derby race to understand how this simple idea of racing miniature cars quickly spread across the US and then became a world-wide phenomenon that is still going strong 60 years later.
Best of all, YOU can be part of the Museum!
The Pinewood Derby Museum Grand Opening was Jan 4, 2015.
Museum is part of the Southwestern CT BSA Heritage Museum located at:
BSA Connecticut Yankee Council Building
60 Wellington Rd.
Open Saturdays 10-2.
I hope to see you there...
What you will see at the pinewood derby museum
The Pinewood Derby Museum features:
- Select pages from Don Murphy's original 1953 PWD plan, complete with his Pack meeting announcement for the first pinewood derby race.
- Pictures, an interview and signed cars from Donn Murphy
- A replica of Donn Murphy's original 1953 car, "The First Racer", signed by Donn Murphy
- Trophies, a ribbon and medal from the 2nd pinewood derby in 1954, when PWD racing spread across the Los Angeles area.
- The 1954 article from Boy's Life that introduced pinewood derby racing to the Boy Scouts of America
- Cool, hot pinewood derby cars, like the Ghost Rider, Scorpion and Hartford Whalers Stanley Cup cars built by adults for Scout Reach fund raiser races.
- A digital display with hundreds of pinewood derby smiling winners, cars, trophies and ribbons
- A digital display featuring "Your Pinewood Derby Story". Be a part of the Museum by submitting your pictures and your pinewood derby story...(see below)
Everyone seems to have an interesting story behind building their car with a parent or grand parent. Or perhaps you won your race, or lost, or crashed, or created a cool car, or had a touching moment with a parent, friend or guardian that you want to share.
Just e-mail us a picture or two with a few lines of text at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will put you in our slide show featuring "Your Pinewood Derby Story".
A Hand Written story by the child is preferred. This gives your child more ownership of their pinewood derby by sharing their personal experience. Let them write whatever they want. Some questions to get them started:
- What was the most fun part of building your car?
- What do remember most about your pinewood derby race?
- Tell me about your car? Did you name it? Why did you choose that design or color scheme?
- What makes your car special
Below are a few of those priceless stories:
Email us pictures and "Your Pinewood Derby Story" today at email@example.com!
Share with Friends!
Tips & Hints
Winning Pinewood Derby Secrets contains all the tips you need to win your race. Updated annually with the latest tips and speed products, our book has proven results with 1000's of winners... but don't take our word for it! Read over 90 Customer Reviews and check out our Winners Gallery!
A warped block is ok, as long as your axles are square to the block. Use the PRO Driller Tool to drill perfectly straight axle holes which insures your car will roll straight.
Put a coat of wood primer on your car before painting it because pine wood is porous and will absorb the first coat of paint. Lightly sand the primer after it dries, then apply a final coat (or two) for a clean, finished look.
- Helping Pinewood Derby Racers
...for over 15 years.
Thank you for all of the information. We had fun making the car! We're going on to the Regionals, as our car to 1st place in our den!
- Lou from IN
The speed axles did the trick second year in a row!
- Debbie & Frank
We won! In the championships we beat 24 other Bears and won every heat.
- Kevin K. from CA
- FREE Derby Help
- Designing Your Car
- Building Your Car
- Making Your Car Fast
- Finishing Touches
- LEGO Derby Car Racing
- Race Track
- Pinewood Pro...
Thank you for the great Pinewood Derby tips! My son was so excited when he got the 1st place trophy!
- Kevin from AZ
My son's car won every heat it raced. Thanks again Joe. Your info is the best out there!